Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Arrival of Sand Land Son

Thursday night arrived hot and humid, ideal for an open top Jeep ride to Dubai to collect Sand Land Son (SLS). We left Dubai behind quickly and struck out cross the desert to the far and distant Ras Al Khaimah.

Friday started the weekend and also marked the last day before the start of Ramadan.
One last chance for eating, drinking and music without thought.

A full schedule of visiting and BBQ’s, and making plans for Saturday.

SLS wrote a brief email which summarizes his first weekend below.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all,Just wanted to let you guys know that I have arrived safely in the UAE and am now living in Ras Al Khaimah, which is about 100 km north of Dubai (I think) It is really really hot here, 38 degrees most days but everyone seems to be as sweaty as me so no worries there.
The country is quite strange, I don't think I experienced my first bout of "culture shock" until I went to the grocery store (Carrefour, a French chain) and was surrounded at one point by a bunch of women in abayas and chadors and all the men in dish-dashes (the white robes). However the shock quickly subsided when I found Velveeta shells and cheese and root beer and Oscar Mayer salami... All the stuff I could not find in Europe. :-)
I've made a bunch of new friends already, especially with some South African guys who are awesome. The ex-pat community is pretty close-knit. In two days we have gone to the beach,
gone snorkelling, hung out at the sailing club (climbed on a dhow under construction),
dug for clams, eaten at a proper Italian restaurant, had a party/BBQ with lots of beer (in case you were wondering about that, yes alcohol is available and cheaper than anywhere else I've been in the world and they have Molson and Labatt's!!!), and gone bowling.
I think the coolest thing so far was being at the Arab fish auction and bidding on fish that had just been dragged from the boats. The Arab auctioneers/barkers sound more or less the same as their English-speaking equivalent, strange as that may seem, I think they have their own language. But it was a situation completely foreign to me, and it was the first time in a long time that I felt like I was in a society completely alien to what I know, which makes living here all the more exciting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jaspenelle Jovian said...

Tell my brother to blog more :)

Sounds like you are glad he is there though.

2006-09-26, 3:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Familiar and foreign...what a paradox. There is really "nothing new under the sun." Hope SLS enjoys his new experiences in your world.

2006-09-26, 6:50 a.m.  
Blogger The Becka said...

..what jaspenelle said... "Tell my brother (SLS) to blog more!"

...wonder what new adventures will await with the arrival of "SLS"...

2006-09-27, 3:37 a.m.  
Blogger Al Sinjab said...

Salam SLD,

Welcome to Ras Al Khaimah! Have you made it to Al Sahari restaurant yet? I think it's the best part. Except for the beach, of course. And maybe the mountains.

You might already know about, but if you like you're welcome to join the UAE community blog. It's just a place where people to share their UAE experiences and get their questions answered. It'd be great to have another voice from Ras Al Khaimah! Too many people think of RAK as a lost sand dune. If you're interested, contact Secret Dubai and she'll send you an invite.

2006-09-30, 10:54 a.m.  
Blogger RAKMAN said...

Welcome to RAK!
Information on events in RAK can be found at http://www.rakpat.com

2006-10-07, 3:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home