Friday, November 24, 2006

Laptops and clouds

The gap in posts has been caused by the death of my trusty laptop, the Compaq Evo. It has outlasted the company that created it, but finally the video circuit went. So there was the acquisition of an Acer, extraction of the hard drive, and finally back on-line and catching up.
Fortunately Murphy did not strike and take my mobile phone at the same time.


Winter has finally arrive with the daytime temperature dropping into the 20's and falling into the teens at night. Carrefour has put out winter coats for sale (really!).
We have also had our first overcast days and a couple of night time rains.
Stop laughing my readers in Spokane and Kitchener.


To give an example of the impact of rain, the news link below is about Ajman, the emirate 50 km south of us.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?section=theuae&xfile=data/theuae/2006/november/theuae_november520.xml

Finally, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends. Enjoy the three F's (Family, Food, Football) and eat lots of ham for us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Glad you are back! My Compaq Presario laptop is in its 5th year and it is working well. However, my slow USB port won't charge an ipod, so my offspring think I am using a dinosaur.

2006-11-24, 4:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you have been :)
Winter eh? I didn't laugh... too hard.
I suppose flash flooding becomes and issue when it rains though - a sobering though.

2006-11-25, 2:53 a.m.  
Blogger The Becka said...

Carrefour has put out winter coats for sale (really!).

I rolled my eyes when I read that.

2006-11-27, 8:10 a.m.  
Blogger Sand Land Dad said...

A couple of answers.
My laptop was 3.5 years old but had probably logged over 100,000 travel miles.
About the rain, it was about .5 cm (1/4 inch for the Americans). There is just no planning for rain here.
18C is cold when you switch from 44C, but still amusing.

2006-11-27, 10:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home