Friday, April 04, 2008

Goats and Gardens

Goats in the region are endemic, and they pose many problems here.
Most of the time they are a nuisance, rooting in the garbage, wandering on the roads, climbing in trees. They fall in several classes, wandering herds that are foraging, feral goats and the true wild goats.


The ones in our neighborhood fall in the first two classes.





The other day the gate to our courtyard was left slightly ajar, and a group of goats pushed their way into the courtyard.

We had established a small collection of plants and herbs which was obviously attractive to them.


Our housemate, Cheryl, sent me an email (I was in Abu Dhabi) with her synopsis of the situation.

Good news is that goats don’t like:

1. Basil
2. Scented geraniums
3. Climbing ‘weeds’

They sort of like:

1. Petunias
2. Tree with yellow flowers
3. Roses
4. Poinsettas (which are poisonous so maybe at least one of them will get a belly ache!)
5. Maria’s two big plants

The bad news is that they LOVE:

1. Ageratums

2. Tree with red flowers
3. Sweet peas
4. Jasmine
5. Dill
6. Parsley
7. Coriander
8. Daisies



Lesson learned – I think they’ve discovered our yard as having tasty treats now, so the gate needs to show no DAYLIGHT. If Cheryl hadn’t heard a ‘baa’, I think they would have totally eaten all our plants!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor garden! I think I would be having goat for dinner if that happened with my house plants.

The goats in a tree photograph reminds me of those flying cow and pig Christmas ornaments you got Alex and I one year...

2008-04-05, 2:14 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought parsley was a colder climate herb by the way, I am surprised you can keep it alive there!

2008-04-05, 2:16 a.m.  
Blogger Sand Land Dad said...

The thought of goat BBQ does come to mind, more than once since being here.
The herbs do well, sometimes too well.
I have to crop back the basil every week it grows so fast. The parsley, dill, coriander and chives do great too.

2008-04-05, 10:39 a.m.  
Blogger Ruth said...

We have squirrels who eat the roots and bulbs and rabbits who eat the plant tops and deer who nibble anything in the winter. Too bad you don't have lawns to keep the goats busy.

2008-04-06, 5:24 a.m.  
Blogger The Becka said...

Hmmm...in perspective, I think I'd much rather deal with the bunnies in the garden than a group of goats.

2008-04-09, 1:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home