Monday, April 21, 2008

The Weekly Commute

I drive weekly between Ras Al Khaimah and Abu Dhabi, a distance of about 250 km.

Sometimes I pass thru Dubai for meetings, and also to experience the horrible traffic that is part of the experience there.

Either route I take, bypass roads or Sheikh Zayed Road, there is always lots of evidence of the driving skills that this region is renowned for. We have one of the highest death and serious injury rates in the world here.

Following too close, speeding, lane cutting are just of the few skills that refined here, especially in heavy traffic.

This week as I was leaving Dubai towards ABu Dhabi, suddenly there was a traffic jam ahead.



Soon there was the usual traffic backing up behind me.



This meant either a construction project problem or an accident.
The sound of approaching sirens indicated that it was an accident ahead.
The sight of a Medi-Vac helicopter landing told me that this was a serious one.



As I passed the accident I saw the diesel tanker, bridging the median its cab underneath the tank. An SUV with its front end crushed behind it, and a car pinned under the other side of the tanker.



The medics used the Jaws of Life to free the occupants of the car and they were wisked off in the helicopter. According to the news the injuries were serious but not life threatening.

I contemplated turning around and going back home but the radio announced that in the direction of RAK a truck had hit a bulldozer, caught fire and the road was closed.

Inch around the wreck then, continue to Abu Dhabi with no further incidents.



Not as dramatic is the 200+ car pileup of several weeks ago, but that one made CNN.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Becka said...

O_o Oh my....

2008-04-22, 5:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We actually passed the accident outside of RAK on our way to DXB. There was a front-end loader shovelling dirt onto a tanker truck that seem to have burnt our completely.

2008-04-22, 11:26 a.m.  
Blogger Criticak said...

I was stationary in Dubai on Sheik Zayed Road in August and could only look in horror as a 4x4 hurtled towards my car behind me. The driver clearly hadn't seen that the traffic ahead of him was stationary despite my hazard lights being on. Then I saw smoke bellowing from his wheels as he screeched the brakes on and came to a stop inches from the rear of my car. Can't they just drive a little slower?

2008-09-30, 4:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home